I’ve been meaning to put something like this together for a while. Unlike my holy bible of flour, this is for alcohol. With the holidays rapidly approaching (as in like two days from now), I thought today was the perfect time to share this information. I'm pretty sure one of the last things most Celiac people think of is what alcoholic beverage they're allowed to drink. But gluten is everywhere, and I'll admit that I have no idea (or had...until I did this research) what was safe to drink beyond my favorite brand of sweet red wine. I did a little research and came across this blogger who had linked and listed a myriad of gluten-free brands by type of alcohol, which is a real gem. So, instead of redoing the list of brands that someone else has already done (and that I was never going to do), here are a few tips to remember when drinking as a Celiac.
1. Beer is 100% not gluten-free, unless you are drinking a gluten-free beer (as those do exist).
2. Most ciders are gluten-free because they’re brewed from apples.*
3. Potato vodka, rum, and tequila are made from naturally gluten-free ingredients.
4. To air on the side of safety, bourbon and whiskey aren’t gluten-free.
5. Wine is typically gluten-free (thank goodness!).
6. Always, always, ALWAYS don’t drink anything if you’re unsure of what it’s made of.
*As a side note to all of these tips, ALWAYS read the label to double check before drinking.
A blog of writing, photography, and gluten-free goodies