My Kind of Sandwich
So a while ago I talked about So Delicious, a wonderful dairy-free company with loads of gluten-free treats. Then I talked about them again. And without shame or resignation, I confess that I’ll be talking about them again today in relation to ICE CREAM SANDWICHES.
I’d been dreaming of making an ice cream sandwich all summer long, and when I was given the chance to indulge in some gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, etc., etc. ice cream, I decided it was the perfect opportunity. I choose the Snickerdoodle flavor as the “meat” of the sandwich, and it was a great decision. As I mentioned in my last post, the cashew-milk base makes for such a creamy texture, one that tastes the most like dairy. The Snickerdoodle flavor was intensely cinnamon and oh so delish. It reminded me of the Snickerdoodle cookies that my sister and I make for Christmas. And to my surprise, THERE WERE SOFT YET CRUNCHY CINNAMON DOUGH BALLS in the ice cream! I wasn't expecting them, but I was happy to have found them!
As for the “bread” of my dessert sandwich, I baked a new recipe I came up with for Oatmeal Cookies. They were the bomb, as I had prayed they would be. The recipe itself is super simple to throw together and requires minimal ingredients (no exotic ingredients that the average healthy baker wouldn’t already have in her pantry). The cookies were the *perfect* vessel for the ice cream: firm yet soft when broken apart (I would like to thank the honey for the pliable nature of these little goodies).
Below you’ll find the recipe for this sweet treat! ENJOY!
Snickerdoodle Ice Cream Sandwiches
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup brown rice flour
½ cup organic, local honey
½ cup slivered almonds (but you could use whatever nut you want – I used chopped walnuts once too)
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
Dash of cinnamon
5 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
So Delicious Snickerdoodle Ice Cream*
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Set frozen ice cream on counter.
2. Combine all dry ingredients in medium-sized mixing bowl.
3. In a separate (microwavable) bowl, combine the coconut oil and honey. Microwave for 10-20 seconds, depending on the strength of your microwave, until the coconut oil has just melted.
4. Pour melted oil/honey mixture into flour mixture and blend. (I usually use my hands.)
5. Scoop cookies (I used a tablespoon measure for size) onto parchment-lined baking sheet. (Makes roughly 10 cookies.) Bake for 15-20 minutes, until cookies are slightly golden brown.
6. Let cool before scooping ice cream into center and smushing two cookies together!
*Feel free to use your favorite ice cream flavor here. I’m positive that any flavor will pair wonderfully with these cookies!
PS: I’d just like to say that despite how much I blog about desserts, I normally don't eat dessert or sugar beyond fruit, so my splurge once a week of these decadent treats makes me so excited (and, of course, perfectly shareable blog material)!
Comments are closed.